Exploring Spinoza is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Susan James, Professor of Philosophy at Birbeck, University of London. Susan James is an internationally-renowned Spinoza scholar and author of Spinoza on Philosophy, Religion and Politics and Spinoza on Learning to Live Together which are discussed in detail during this wide-ranging conversation.
After an inspiring story of how she became interested in philosophy, Susan James provides detailed insights into Spinoza’s ideas and their current relevance; the political environment and the theological struggle about who has control of religion and how much freedom of religion there was during Spinoza’s time, and more.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, The Rational Humanist, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Philosophical Beginnings – Cambridge, with a bit of Princeton thrown in
- Setting the Stage – Spinoza: a vignette
- Spinozistic Separation – Religion, science and politics
- Determinism – Howard gets stuck
- Modern Lessons – Mind, body, freedom and fortitudo
- The Philosophical Life – Becoming philosophical and doing philosophy
Now available on Amazon! We’ll update this page with other booksellers soon.