The Derveni Papyrus is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Richard Janko, Gerald F. Else Distinguished University Professor of Classical Studies at the University of Michigan. This wide-ranging conversation covers Prof. Janko’s research on the Derveni Papyrus, Europe’s oldest surviving manuscript from the 4th century BCE and the most important text relating to early Greek literature, science, religion and philosophy to have come to light since the Renaissance.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Discovering the Past, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- A Great Discovery – Followed by unparalleled foot-dragging
- Derveni Details – Setting the scene
- An Ancient Culture War – Societal strains in late 5th-century Athens
- Rose-coloured Glasses? – Democratic biases
- Summing Up – Mathematical philology and Herculaneum speculations
This book is now available on: