A Matter of Energy: Biology From First Principles is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Nick Lane, Professor of Evolutionary Biochemistry at University College London and bestselling author. After an inspiring exploration of Nick Lane’s career path, this wide-ranging conversation covers his bioenergetic view of early, evolutionary history, the origin of life and how all complex life is composed of a very particular cell type that we all share, and more.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, The Big Picture, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- A Long and Winding Road – Nick goes round the houses
- Structuring Energy – Cells, membranes and a counterintuitive mechanism
- Hydrothermal Vents – More than just chemistry
- Simulational Challenges – Making your own hydrothermal vent
- Synoptic Justifications – Philosophers wanted
- Becoming Complex – From prokaryotes to eukaryotes
- Marvellous Mitochondria – Insights from a metabolic worldview
- Open Questions – From the origin of life to consciousness
Now available on:
This book is also available as one of the five conversations that are part of the Ideas Roadshow Collection called Conversations About Biology.