Herculaneum Uncovered is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, Director of Research and Honorary Professor of Roman Studies in the Faculty of Classics at the University of Cambridge. This wide-ranging conversation covers his fascinating archeological work done in Herculaneum and Pompeii, the politics of excavation, and life in the ancient Roman world.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Historical Value, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- What We Know – History and geology
- Letting Sleeping Dogs Lie – Exploring historical motivations
- Exploring Roman Society – Housing, slavery, citizenship and status
- Herculaneum vs. Pompeii – Different eyes on the past
- The Future of the Past – Excavation, preservation and spending effectively
This book is now available on: