Free Will: An Investigation is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Alfred Mele, the William H. and Lucyle T. Werkmeister Professor of Philosophy at Florida State University. This wide-ranging conversation examines free will and the different notions of free will that exist, the connections of free will with developments in neuroscience, social psychology and public opinion polls and Alfred Mele’s key concern about how current and future insights might be directly applied to improve our world.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Down to Earth, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Becoming A Philosopher – From Aristotle to Irrationality
- Outlining The Problem – Defining “free will”
- Neuroscience – Benjamin Libet stirs things up
- Social Science – Eating away at our sense of autonomy
- Next Steps – And mid-grade investigations
Available on (and other booksellers soon):